Thursday, March 19, 2009

Racin' Dirty!

Here is a surprise for my blog readers:

Cindirelli is racing tomorrow at Turfway Park.

Here is the entry:

Turfway Park - March 20th, 2009 - Race 1
Estimated Local Post Time: 5:30 PM
Race Type: Claiming
Breed: Thoroughbred
Age Restriction: Three Year Old and Upward
Sex: Fillies and Mares
Purse: $7,600
Distance: One Mile
Surface: All Weather Track
Post Horse
Jockey
Owner
Age Sex Weight
Trainer
Breeder
Odds Claiming Price
1
Include the Lady (KY)
Alberto Pusac
Billy D. Allen, et al.
4 Filly 118
Billy D. Allen
Brereton C. Jones
5/2 $7,500
2
Runnin Dirty (FL)
Dean Mernagh
Shirley Ann Kimball
5 Mare 118
Tres J. Delaforce
Pennston Farms Inc.
15/1 $7,500
3
Drew'sgetleagle (KY)
Leandro R. Goncalves
DJC Stable (Rolanda Simpson)
4 Filly 118
Rolanda Simpson
John D. Murphy
3/1 $7,500
4
Lil Miss Blurr (KY)
Rodney A. Prescott
Mike Clark
6 Mare 118
Helmut S. Jackson
Equus Farm
10/1 $7,500
5
Chasing Liberty (IN)
Jose Luis Calo
Edward L. Roettinger
6 Mare 118
Danny D. Lang
Ron Dafler
7/2 $7,500
6
Hollywood Beauty (KY)
John McKee
Bernard G. Schaeffer
4 Filly 115
William R. Connelly
Benjamin W. Berger
2/1 $7,500

This is another one of those nerve wrecking moments for me- I won't get much sleep tonight, so I've already helped myself to plenty of Benadryl.

It's only a 6 horse field. This is a good thing. We drew the 2 hole, which is also a good thing because according to a little research the horse in the 1 hole never breaks well, giving our girl direct access to the rail. Cindirelli likes to go to the front - I know, I know, another one of those! But, we shall see how things go.
She is in great shape for a race. She's sound and ready.
She's actually so ready that since her last work on Monday, every time I tack her up to go to the track just to train, she gets so excited, she starts a-shaking and a-jumping, pressing against me, being impatient. Subsequently, on the track, she fights Cowboy all the way through her exercise with shaking her head, which he has a firm hold of, to try and get loose so she can run full tilt again (which she isn't supposed to).

I know once I hand her off to the pony heading to the gate, my usual mantra will probably pop back out of my mouth without my realizing it and it is my first and foremost concern, always:

"Safe and sound, safe and sound, safe and sound..."

If this girl still has the physical ability to race, she'll do very well.

We are, as usual, the long shot in the race.

Dean Mernagh - her jockey is a good jockey with riding experience in Hong Kong (or was it Japan?) and Dubai. He's been trying to get his foot in the door over here this year and I've been watching him. He listens to instructions and every time I have seen him on a horse, the horse performed better than expected.

Me? I'll be a nervous wreck, of course. Probably a good idea for me to take a 5th of vodka with me for calming purposes. No point in having her come in the winner's circle and the trainer is in the ambulance with a heart attack.

Race goes off at 5:30 pm EST, should be on either racing channel- HRTV or TVG.

Pray for us tonight- so our girl will have a safe and successful race.

May the racing gods be with us tomorrow.

4 comments:

Mrs. Mom said...

Fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!

Shirley said...

Praying here.... I may have to find a place to watch the race!

Unknown said...

I hope it goes well tonight! I can't wait to hear how she does. I would try to watch but unfortunately I'll be stuck in a car. Best wishes to you and Cinderelli and the jockey.

Britnie - Riding During Naps said...

oh I SO wanted to watch this! I was actually in a place that had hrtv but we had to leave before it came on!! Sucha bummer, how did she do???